I have been pondering the notion of getting another tattoo for quite some time. Actually, several tattoo’s. I guess what friends have told me is true, getting tattooed is addicting. I thought I would do some research on the topic and here’s what I found on hubpages.com in an article “The History of Tattoos.”
- The word “Tattoo” comes from the Tahitian term “Tatua” which means “To mark”
- The first tattoo’s are documented as early as 4000 BC by the Egyptians
- During the first and second world wars, the United States military adopted tattooing as a means of protection, brotherhood, and remembrance.
- Tattooing has changed from something rare and looked down upon to being one of the most popular forms of self-expression through art.
I have a dragon-fly and the word survivor tattooed on my right wrist. For me, it is a reminder of what and who I am when I am struggling through depression. My cousin Kathy and I are talking of getting a 4 leaf clover to celebrate our Irish heritage and bond. And I have been contemplating getting my favorite go-to quote “Though she be but little, she is fierce.” by Shakespeare from his Midsummer Night’s Dream.
Placement is the tricky part for me. I never understood getting inked in places where you can’t see it and appreciate it. On the other hand, I admit to times I wish my tattoo was in an easier place to cover in certain situations. (Like at church when my favorite uncle points to it in shock.) Decisions, decisions that happily don’t have to be made today.
Today I am thankful for ..
- Another beautiful morning — Praise God!
- Friends that are kindred spirits
- My “to-do” list is very short
- It should be a relaxing weekend filled with family and friends
This weekend, be kind to yourself. Give yourself the time to re-energize and take that moment to be mindful of all that is good in your life. Wishing you peace and contentment.
affectionately yours, Laura